Saturday, October 12, 2013

You need to remember the 500 you fed not the 30 you couldnt

Today we fed 500 orphans in a little village about 15 miles from our home. About 450 of these orphans had parents who have died from aids and the remaining 50 from things that were in many cases preventable but they did not have money to go to the doctor. At several points throughout the day I would once again have to pinch myself very hard so I would not start balling in front of them. There were not the smiling faces I usually see among the children in the villages. The children came with there bowl and we would fill it with beans and maize. Toward the end we had to give them less so we would have enough. Then we sent each orphan(per family) with a small bag of maize to bring home. There were many children that were waiting for a chance to get a bag but they were not on the list and had to go home empty handed. The director who started this program said "You need to remember  the 500 you were able to feed and not the 30 you could not."

My heart is heavy as I think about those 30 and as I think about all the children in this area who go hungry and sometimes even starve to death. Sometimes I don't like to see things that are sad if im unable to change it. But we can change things for some. If you are interested in making a difference I would recommend 2 things 1. Do your research(a lot of these big organizations that have certainly good intentions end up only getting a very small portion to the children it is promised to.They are just unable to keep up and know where all the funds are going. I have seen this first hand and it disgusting to me 2. Go visit and  and see how your hard earned money is being spent.
 www.thesurefoundaton.org.uk this is the organization we worked under today.

No comments: