Sunday, December 1, 2013

The Hospital...there are many faces that haunt me but Lorraine's story will be one of redemption

In the middle of one of the biggest trial of my life a wise friend said"Because of this trial you will be able to take all this  hurt and pain and pour yourself into the people of Kenya" as soon as those words came out I knew them to be true.
On this morning I woke up feeling broken and I said "ok Lord what do I do with this?"  I decided to go with a friend to visit  the public hospital. I knew it would be hard and I was right. The hospital smelled of rotting flesh and feces.The conditions were horrible . Most rooms were large and had  50 beds with patients of all ages .We walked through halls with wondering stray cats  and people scattered on hallway floors. The burn unit was probably the most difficult area to see. One little boy only  1 year old was badly burned on his entire body and in so much pain ,he was unable to lay down. . There was of course no ac only flies dirty linens and bed pans.. There was no crying only the looks of despair and a terrible misery. The first hour I spent here I kept saying "what am I doing here .im not able to help these children"but Gods voice kept saying"Be a light in this dark place". While visiting one room of children I took a box full of colors out and some paper. I gave each child 2 colors and a piece of paper. It moved me once again to see how something so small and insignificant to me could bring so much joy. Willow and I prayed over the children that wanted to be prayed for.
There was one little girl named Lorraine(my grandmothers name)She was hit in the leg by a van a year ago come January. There was no broken bones only a flesh wound but here she lay hopeless in this bed for sooo long. She was nothing but skin and bones. Her leg smelled so terrible it was nauseating.Her mom said she was on a waiting list for a skin graph surgery. I couldn't fathom being in this awful  place for that length of time. It was no wonder I could not get her to smile.Then I began to learn a little more how the hospitals works. Apparently you can't have the surgery until you can pay for it. And you can't leave the hospital till you can pay for the time you have already stayed. There are security guards everywhere to make sure no one escapes without paying there bill. So in a sense this hospital has become a prison for many. I know that I can't help everyone but I will try to help the ones God has put in my path. I took pictures of Lorraine so that you could see who I'm asking you to pray for but the staff took my camera and made me erase all my pictures.
There are many faces that haunt me from my visits to the hospital but Lorraine will not be one of them. Every one here has a story but Lorraine's story will be one of redemption.

To donate to the hospital ministry send checks to-
Crossroads Baptist Church
Po box 60871 cc tx78460
With attention to Andrus Family hospital ministry


2 comments:

John Edward Blake said...

I am saddened by this.How can a world with so much wealth let this happen?I have a niece training as a doctor who was there for three months and told me of conditions.Your report is much worse.I wish I could send money but I am broke after heart surgery.This really touches me.I love what you are doing there.Lord help you and I will when I can.

Unknown said...

Thankyou for your comments John. I know that the work I am doing is sooo small when you look at the enormity of the problems . But the most powerful way you can help isn't by sending money but through your prayers:)